Contact

Central Travel Office
You can meet us at the Central Travel Office:
Central Terminus,
Chemnitz-Plaza,
Rathausstraße 7

Opening Hours:
Monday - Friday
7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, Holidays
8.30 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Service hotline
+49 (0)371 2370-333


Please mind, that the Service hotline is available only in german language.

 
 
 
 

History

 
 

1880 to 1914 ... The company's early days

After the awarding of a concession to build a  horse-drawn tram in the year 1879, the first horse-drawn tram route was opened in Chemnitz in 1880. The route ran between the Main Railway Station and Nicolaibrücke, known today as Falkeplatz.
 
 
On 19th and 23rd December 1893, the first two electric trams went into service. In the years thereafter, the network of services was continuously extended. By 1904 it reached a length of 34.9 kilometres with 10 lines.

 
 
The tram service was taken over by the Chemnitz City Council on 1st January 1908. A company called  “Chemnitz City Council Trams ” was founded.

 

 
 
 
 

1914 to 1945 ... How two World Wars affected local public transport

The tram service was considerably reduced as a result of the First World War (1914 -1918). Due to mobilisation, the numbers of crew and maintenance staff were reduced by 60%. As a result, in 1915 for the first time women employees took on jobs as conductresses, carriage cleaners and drivers.

 
 

In 1935 the company was renamed "Chemnitz City Trams”. When World War II began and with the resulting fuel shortage, routes were shortened and some taken from service entirely.

 
 

As a result of various heavy bomb attacks during the Second World War, in particular during February and March 1945, from 5th March 1945, it was impossible to continue service. Individual routes were put back into service on 18th May 1945. Due to the considerable damage, Chemnitz' complete tram network with a length of 43.3 kilometres was not accessible until December 1946.

 

 
 
 
 

1949 to 1989 ... The Company in the GDR

On 1st April 1949 the city tram system was taken over by the Chemnitz Municipal Utility Company and renamed “KWU-Verkehrsbetriebe”.

When the Municipal Utility Company was broken up, what was by now the nationally-owned public transport company was first renamed "Chemnitz City Council Transport Company” and finally from 1952 "Chemnitz People's Transport Company".

Six years later, on 10th June 1958 the groundbreaking ceremony for this project took place in Annaberger Strasse and in the decades that followed several narrow gauge (925 mm) lines were gradually replaced by standard gauge (1435 mm).

 
 
On 8th May 1960 the first standard gauge, 2.31-km long section between Altchemnitz and Uhlestraße was able to be put into service.

In December 1960 the company name was changed to "Karl-Marx-City People's Transport Company".

 
 
The reconstruction of the town centre began as early as the end of the 1950s. For instance, in 1957 the tram lines were removed from Innere Klosterstrasse.

 

 
 

In December 1968, the central tram terminus with eight covered platforms was finally finished.

 
 
From December 1968, by using articulated busses, more passengers were able to be carried than hitherto. As a result, the articulated bus offered a good alternative to the underused tram services.

 

 
 
In February 1969 a new generation of trams went into service. The large-volume Tatra carriages manufactured in Prague and  painted in red and ivory were a characteristic sight in the town for many years.

 
 

In 1975 almost 9 kilometres of narrow gauge lines including Nº 4 line (terminus – Borna) and Nº 8 line (terminus – Ebersdorf) were shut down. Buses replaced the shut-down services, so that in 1978 there was a route network with 27 bus services.

 

 
 
 
 

1990 to 2003 ... The CVAG

On 26th June 1990 the Karl-Marx-City People's Transport Company became the Chemnitz Public Transport Company (CVAG). From that day on, the company has appeared in public in reorganised form and in the City colours of blue and yellow.

 
 
In 1993 five “Megashuttle” busses were acquired by the CVAG. The Megashuttle is a world first, a double-decker bus with four steerable axles and 100 seats.

 

 
 
In 1991 , the company took the decision to deploy modern, low-floor vehicles in the future. The first low-floor, articulated busses went into service in 1991 and 1992.

 

 
 
On 27th May 1994, the first Variobahn was officially introduced. The Variobahn is the world's first modular, gearless, low-floor tram.

 
 
On 11th November 1994, after 2 years under construction, the Bus Garage in Werner-Seelenbinder-Strasse was officially inaugurated.

 
 
The Tram Depot in Adelsberg was opened on 5th October 1995. In March 1997 the CVAG  and the Saxon Autobus Company founded the Chemnitz City Railway joint subsidiary company.

 
 
In October 1997, the CVAG and the Chemnitz Public Utility Company opened the town's first natural gas fuelling station in the Bus Depot in Werner-Seelenbinder-Strasse.

 
 
At the Bus Depot in Werner-Seelenbinder -Strasse on the 16th November 1998 the completed 3-section parking shed was handed over for use. On 18 lanes, 138 busses, separated according to standard, articulated and double-deckers can be parked. Thus for the first time in the company's history, busses were not left out in the open overnight.

 

 
 
The gradual modernisation of the central terminus was undertaken in 1998, being finally finished in 2001. Passengers have access to 25 safe, comfortable bays. In addition, in 1999 a modern Central Travel Office was opened at the central terminus in order to guarantee direct contact with customers at all times.
 
 
Two years later the lines were extended as far as the Goetheplatz. In spring 2004 this short connection between the "Fritz-Heckert" residential area and the town centre is due to be finished. Work on the section began in 1993.

 
 
On 15.12.2002 the test route of the “Chemnitz Model” between Stollberg and Chemnitz Main Railway Station was tried out for the first time.  After years of planning, the first section of this innovative transport concept was brought to fruition, by which for the first time in Chemnitz a connection between the tram and the rail networks was created.

The "Chemnitz Model" is unique in Germany, since in contrast to other cities, here only low-floor vehicles are in operation.

 
 

With the commissioning of a multi-purpose Inspection and Maintenance Shed in September 2000 the workshop facilities were improved.

 
 
The 110th Anniversary of Electric Trams in December 2003 was publicised by various activities throughout the year. The highlight and closing ceremony took the form of a festivity along the route which linked the first anniversary of Chemnitz City Railway test route to Stollberg with the anniversary of the electric tram.

 

 
 
 
 

2004

From 20th March 2004,  service Nº 4 takes you into town-Tram line Nº 4 took up permanent service between Hutholz and the town centre. With its completion after 10 years in the building, one of the most important projects in Chemnitz' traffic concept came to a successful conclusion.

 

 
 
 
 

2005

125 years of Chemnitz' tram service - The 125th anniversary which took place on 22nd April was celebrated in the 3rd Kappel Tram Festival in June.


Commencement of the revised network plan. The revised network plan for the NEW NETWORK began with comprehensive traffic statistics in order to determine passenger frequency and customer needs. A new mobility plan represented by new graphics was introduced.

With the introduction of drivers' sales terminals  on all busses, passengers can buy the required ticket (except for 1-Year Passes and Season Tickets) directly from the driver.

 

From  September to December 2005 a comprehensive line refurbishment of the tram route along Strasse der Nationen took place. This route improvement was the precondition for the Chemnitz Model project with the new interchange at the Main Railway Station.

 
 
 
 

2006

NEW NETWORK - Chemnitz citizens help with planning. With a publicity campaign starting in February, the CVAG presented its new bus network in public. More convenient direct links and more frequent services are intended to persuade more people of Chemnitz to use the bus and railway. Over 3000 townspeople handed in their suggestions, tips and also criticisms by year's end.


Entrance to Chemnitz Main Railway Station.  With the renovation of the route in the Strasse der Nationen, an important connection for public transport between the town centre and  the Chemnitz Main Railway Station has been created. It is also a prerequisite for trams to enter the Main Railway Station and for the link with the Chemnitz Model routes to Burgstädt and Hainichen.

 
 
New "Hutholz" Interchange
Right on time for the timetable change on 10th December 2006, the combined bus-rail facility at Hutholz went into service.

 

 
 
 
 

2007

Bus transport in Chemnitz celebrates 85 years - On 1st February 1922, the first municipal omnibus service to the Women's Clinic started up. Whilst bus transport in Chemnitz experienced its heyday in the 1980s, after Reunification it had to contend with competition: the car.  With modern low-floor vehicles and a NEW ROUTE NETWORK we want to make bus travel attractive again.

 

 
 
NEW ROUTE NETWORK - we believe in our service
At present in our organisation, extensive staff training is under way on the new routes, stops, changes and connections, and also on the background, on the why and wherefore. Because the NEW NETWORK is a matter for the entire CVAG company and all of the employees have to feel involved in it and support it.


A series of building works is coupled with the early stages of the introduction of the NEW NETWORK. In order to improve the transport link to the Neefepark, what is known as a bus trap is being installed. In Borna an intermediate terminus is being built at the former bus terminal loop.

 
 
All new in Internet - our new web presence. In December, exactly six years after first going online, our new web presence was activated.

 

 

 
 
 
 

2008

Eight new 4-door-busses allow a faster entry and exit of passengers.
The replacement purchase for the reduction of maintenance costs, which was started in 2004, is going to be continued with eight busses by MAN, model Lion City. They are the first articulated busses with 4 doors in Chemnitz. They also already fulfilled the exhaust-regulations of the year 2009. Every Lion’s Bus is air-conditioned and equipped with video cameras.

30th March 2008 – New Network.

The NEW NETWORK takes effect. From the middle of January until the middle of April, the citizens of Chemnitz were informed about the extensive changes. At more than a half hundred days of effort, more or less 20000 citizens were contacted. Moreover the new-equipping of timetable-displays with timetables, maps of railways and fare-overviews meant a huge logistic challenge. 60 new stops were built.

 
 
 
 

2009

New natural gas busses – for the sake of environment
The CVAG obtains six natural gas proceeded articulated busses. Therefore the CVAG widens up its natural gas busses up to 8 vehicles. The buses have an EEV (Enhanced Environmentally Friendly Vehicle) - emission standard. With the help of this kind of standard it is possible to fulfill the euro-V-norm,
which is valid since 2010.


Bus school now also for pre-school children and seniors.
For the first time, pre-school children can use our offer named bus school. It is very important for us, that our children learn the traffic instructions as soon as possible. The future primary one pupil should learn how to go safely to school or to their homes by bus. In the season from April until October almost one thousand primary pupils and about 400 pre-school children visit our bus school.

At the 22nd October starts the first bus school for seniors. The aim of the senior mobility training is to reduce their fears and uncertain feelings in buses and trams. The bus school started in September of 2004. This offer is free for all participants.

 
 
 
 

2010

„A look from the past into the future“
130 years tram of Chemnitz – 50 years standard gauge – 20 years CVAG. We use this threefold anniversary as an opportunity to show inhabitants and guests of Chemnitz, what was, what is and what the future is going to bring. The big line festival at 24th April forms/builds/makes the start of the anniversary festivals. More than 6000 visitors/guests at eight stations experience the local traffic very close.
A future congress at the end of May gives the interested clientele a podium about the issue/topic/theme what moves us in future? How does mobility look like in 20, 50 and 130 years? In the presence of the Saxon State Minister for Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport, Sven Morlok, and the Lord Mayor of Chemnitz, Barbara Ludwig, well-known trend- and futurologists will give information and encourage discussions about the challenges of the future like cities changing through the ages and change in demography.


The Chemnitzer Modell

The "Chemnitzer Modell" connects city and region without interchange. Currently in the central railway station, the former platforms 3 till 5 will be build by the Central Saxony Public Transport Association (VMS). The platforms 3 and 4 were removed completely, there are no more rails existing. The retaining wall is the condition for the construction of the new line 28; on platform 5 is the new retaining wall. This retaining wall will be a sort of „border“ between the rail of German railways and the future lines of the "Chemnitzer Modell". The platform 5 remains at the usual place, there will set off the trains to Leipzig. The trams of the "Chemnitzer Modell" will hold on the other side of the retaining wall, 2.5 meters under the current platform level. From there they will go on the tram network.

Milestones till 2020:

1st Arrival of the trams in the central station Chemnitz (till end to 2013)
2nd Extension of the route Chemnitz-Thalheim
3rd Extension of the route Chemnitz-Niederwiesa
4th Increase of the north route Limbach-Oberfrohna
5th Extension of the route Stollberg-Oelsnitz


 
 
 
 

2011

More priority for the current customer information

As an improvement for the customer information the operational control system continued to be extended. Thus, the first four of the 200 planned dynamic departure and arrivals boards were installed in April. The displays do not just inform about the scheduled departure times but also announce failures and delays. Furthermore, in the Central Travel Office at the central terminus a display also informs about the departure times of all busses and trams which depart from the central terminus and indicates the respective platforms.

 
 
The Chemnitzer Modell – 2nd milestone incubation period

Parallel to the current rebuilding of the central station Chemnitz (1st milestone) more inner-city tram lines are planned. The topic of the 2nd milestone is to increase the Chemnitzer Modell and to connect the central station with the DB lines in the direction to Thalheim over the existing tram lines in the Straße der Nationen and Bernsdorfer Straße and over the new builded tram line over the Reichenhainer Straße. The idea behind the Chemnitzer Modell is to connect regional train lines with the inner-city tram lines without interchange.

 
 
Project „Speeding up the public transport”

The common project of the city Chemnitz, the Central Saxony Public Transport Association (VMS) and the CVAG has the aim to shorten the travel time through modified traffic light circuits at crossroads. The first positive example is the Zwickauer Straße of which passengers of line 1 could benefit.

 
 
The tram line Gablenz gets a new tram cable.

Since May the building work for the complete renovation of the 3.8 km tram cable between Gablenz and the city center goes on. The line was commissioned in October 1976.

 
 
 
 

Timetable information

arrival
departure
 
date
calendar
 
time
   
 
 
 
extented options
Form for visually impaired
 
Possible dates for ticket checks
 
 
HotelTicket_engl
 
 
 
font size 1 font size 2 font size 3